Thursday, June 16, 2011

Two Pies for Dinner

We spent the weekend on my sister-in-laws Idaho farm.
The kids had a blast feeding the animals, driving tractor, and most of all running around with 6 cousins.

Other than good memories :)
we came home too many brown farm fresh eggs.  36 of them to be exact.

And in an effort to use some of them up I made quiche for dinner.
I found this recipe here on allrecipes.com. for a Spinach Quiche.
It had received 4.5 stars.
And other than a minor adjustment.... the adding of 5 more eggs, it was created for my family tonight.
And the recipe was actually enough for two pies. I find that is almost always the case with pie recipes.

It turned out.
or so I thought.
Until we went to eat it and I saw my husband not eating. nor my daughter.
I asked if it was alright. I was on my second slice.

They went ahead and made themselves turkey sandwiches instead.
It is the 1st meal I have prepared for my husband in eight years that he didn't end up eating.
It is mostly funny.

I decided with the other pie crust and left over cream, I would make some dessert after we spent the evening working in the yard.
It was reviewed by the family much more positively than the Spinach Quiche.

Nutella Pie.

I found that recipe here.

I changed it up a bit.
here are the directions.

NUTELLA PIE


1 9-inch pie crust, unbaked
1 box brownie mix (or homemade)
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup semi- sweet chocolate chips
1/2 pint heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Make brownie batter as directed on the box and pour into a prepared pie crust. Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely.
Using a mixer, whip the cream, sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Transfer to another bowl and set aside.
In the same mixer bowl, mix Nutella and cream cheese until well combined. Spoon in 1/3 of the whipped cream and gently fold in. Repeat with remaining whipped cream- be careful not to stir- it won’t be as light and fluffy. Chill the mousse until the brownie layer is completely cooled.
When the pie is cooled, spread the Nutella mousse evenly over the brownie layer. Drizzle with melted semi sweet chocolate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails