Friday, July 9, 2010

Garden Fresh Pico




Nothing seems more delicious than Fresh Pico de Gallo made from things in my garden to me on a hot summer afternoon.
I'm not sure why this deliciousness is named after the beak of a rooster- but I don't really care.
We are currently only harvesting peas, green onions and radish from our high mountain dessert plot. But I had to do something with the green onions as they were taking over.
Plus I really don't need an excuse to make this- though all that chopping is certainly a labor of love.
For those of you who have some how reached adulthood and not discovered the difference between salsa and pico de gallo, let me clue you in.... Pico is not as spicy, much chunkier and very fresh, I don't like salsa on chips, but I can eat Pico with a spoon.

And please don't use a magic bullet or blender or something to do the chopping- it just won't turn out as good

2-4 tomatoes depending on size
3/4 white onion
4-8 springs cilantro
2-4 green onions
1/2 green bell pepper
1/2 red bell pepper
1/3 fresh jalapeno seeded- this is optional.
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or pressed garlic
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1-2 fresh squeezed lime

Just dice and slice everything up and stir it all together.

Fruits and Veggies cut up and thrown together never tasted so good.
I have every intention of making lots more when my tomatoes grow up and make their way to the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails